Monday, June 22, 2009

The City of Brotherly Love


A couple of weeks ago friends Jack, Bill, Kelvin, Tweety, and Ken took a road trip to Philadelphia to shoot Eastern State Penitentiary. This was my 2nd trip and everyone else’s first. I reshot some of my favorites--the Barber’s Chair and Al Capone’s cell are a must. Beyond the favorites, I tried to find some things to shoot that I overlooked during my first visit last fall. We had nice clouds so I shot a lot outdoors.

After finishing up at the prison I swore everyone to secrecy and then took them to the Graffiti Underground. While a closely guarded secret among photographers, other aspects of urban Philadelphia seemed to know all about it. When we arrived a group of young men were descending on the place for what they described as a “War Zone”. We tried to discreetly shoot some of these guys during their paint ball game, but this proved hazardous to our gear and we backed off.

I’m behind on processing and I hope to visit again sometime this year. Hopefully at that time I can get a gallery posted.

No comments: