Thursday, October 22, 2009

West Virginia Wrap Up


I think it is time to wrap up the details of my recent trip to West Virginia. The original purpose of going to West Virginia was to spend the night in the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. I’m very happy with how that part of the trip worked out. See my October 4th post for details and pictures.

Rather than go to West Virginia for just an overnight trip I decided to make the trip a mini vacation. I stayed in Canaan Valley with the exception of the one night spent in Weston. I was hoping to do a lot of shooting at Bear Rocks but I only shot there once because the weather was cloudy and rainy most of the time. This was great for waterfalls!! I did a lot of scouting and checked out locations that I had not visited before. Some are certainly worth returning. I hiked to the top of Seneca Rocks. That was a surprise. The cliffs are only about 10 feet wide at the top and when I arrived at the top the wind kicked up to about 30-40 mph and I could not get down quick enough. There was no way I was taking off my pack and shooting in those conditions.

On my first morning in Davis I met the US Army Golden Knights Parachute Team. They were doing a jump at a fall festival in Davis later that morning. After seeing these guys at air shows over the years it was a real thrill to meet them. I wish I could have stayed for the show.

It was a little early for fall color, although Blackwater Canyon was starting to look nice.

Click here for a gallery.

No comments: