Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Winter Wonderland




A few weeks ago I took a day trip with my friend Greg Daily to Swallow Falls State Park. As I recall the temperature never got above 20 degrees, but we managed to stay warm and spent the better part of the day exploring the park and just having a good time in general. The falls in the park were frozen solid and there was about a foot of snow on the ground. Part of being a landscape photographer is about enjoying what you do. While I always wish for a productive day, this day was not one of my better ones in that regard. I did see a lot of opportunities but I had to consider my safety. The water was high, it was flowing fast and the ice was thin. This limited my ability to get into key positions to craft the type of images that I think would have shown the beauty around me. When I look at some of the pictures I took that day I find them lacking. But in the end that is fine, just because I was unable to fully capture the beauty around me does not mean that I did not get to enjoy the beauty. It just means that I’m not able to fully share the experience.

No comments: